So I'm back from Sin City and my first observation of the place that it certainly lives up to the name!
From the moment you land and enter the airport terminal, you know it's going to be a good time. I mean, how could it not? The place is filled with flashy slot machines with enough light juice to give anyone a seizure. All you need to do is get over the sleepiness.
Prior to landing in Vegas, I was tired as hell. I had the whole eyes-rolling-to-the-back-of-my- head thing going on the entire flight. We landed at 10:30-ish Vegas time - which was 1:30pm Toronto time so I assumed it wasn't going to be a pretty sight when we landed. I gave Ida the heads up that cranky-candace might be making an appearance - but she didn't. When our flight landed and we sashayed through the airport, we were pumped to go sightseeing! We had the feeling our first night was going to be a good one.
I have no idea about the key indicator for Ida, but for me it was encountering the Travelocity Gnome (the Amazing Race Gnome) at the airport!!! I heart the Amazing Race and more importantly, the Gnome that has numerous cameos in the series. Wherever the Gnome popped up on the show, it was a good episode...so it was a sign for me that this trip was going to be awesome.
After dumping our stuff at the hotel, we trekked directly onto the Strip and roamed. We quickly realized at this point that Vegas was the place where anything goes. First, during our maiden voyage on the Strip, we encountered line upon lines of short men passing out what I dubbed "titty-cards" to anyone and EVERYONE. They were cards for hookers that anyone could get in 20 mins or less. The only thing that protected the 'modesty' of the women on the cards were strategically placed stars and flashy symbols on their nipples and their southern-regions.
Second, booze can come in any size and shape and if it's not at the 7-11, it's probably on the street in some drunkard's hand. That's right, you can drink booze on the street. Not only beer and cocktails but you can get booze in oversized replicas of the Effiel Tower. (And yes, I did try the Effiel Tower drink)
The third sign that Vegas was the place where anything goes was the sheer fact that by the time we got back to the hotel, it was 3am and that was still early! (We went to PURE a couple of days later and we didn't get back to the hotel until about 6am-ish) People were still boozing it up on the streets and were still at the tables when we returned to our hotel...and it wasn't even a Friday night!
So that was my first night in Vegas. The rest of the trip is a blur right now but it can probably be best summed up in the photos...and there were plenty...
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment