Saturday, November 30, 2013

When in doubt, sleep through it.

Flights to Asia are brutal. All it takes is a flight delay to turn a respectable 13 hour direct flight into a 15 hour + ordeal. Now I've been on flight journeys that have clocked in close to 22 hours, taking into account layovers, but those you mentality prepare for (or at least do). If you don't, you get anxious and bratty because the plane isn't going when you want it to, safety be damned, and you let everyone know about your displeasure who are within earshot (or so I've observed). But if you're lucky, even if you don't prepare, you pass out immediately after you board the plane and sit down. Which is what I did on my flight to japan.

The BF and I decided to stay up the night before to try and start getting on Tokyo time, a mere 14hrs ahead of us. We watched movies; we packed; I was even able to sneak in a few episodes of the Korean Drama "Heirs" on the docket with nary a complaint from the BF. (Sleep deprivation will get you to agree to watch anything). So by the time  we got to the Airport,  we were exhausted. I stayed coherent enough to check my bags, do some damage at the duty free and revel in getting served red wine at 11am at the Plaza Premium Lounge (just because I could). Once I sat down on the plane, i was out.

I vaguely remember bobbing my head around, hearing the baby four rows down cry and eventually the engines revving as we took off. However, it wasn't until I finally woke up at the prospect of the first round of food did I realize that we were delayed. Basically the conversation with the BF went something like this: "Oh, you're awake...food's coming soon...by the way, you just slept through the 2 hour delay - the pilots were hearing weird static and were concerned." He went on after about people used the time to use the washroom so we shouldn't have any issues for a while getting a chance to use it...or something like that. Truthfully, he eventually started to sound like Charlie Brown's teacher because I was ready to pass out after the meal. Thank goodness I can sleep in cars, buses, trains and planes on a dime, with or without drug assistance. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I enjoy traveling so much - the travelling part = more sleep.

Next post (if I can remember) - so many people getting married! and why are the boobalicious robots following me?!!




No comments: