Saturday, November 28, 2009

The plastic bag and the stupid cat that came with it

Before I get to my key learnings from my first 48 hours in Seoul, I suppose I should explain my stare down experience with a stray cat. So after arriving in Seoul at 3:30am on Friday, I eventually foundmy way to my hostel that was situated in a back alley on a sidestreet in the Hongdae district (ok, that sounds sketchy but it's actually no so bad). I decided to take a nap before starting my day. Sometime during my nap the fuse broke and the lights could not turn on. I felt bad for the guy who had to stay up to wait for me so I didn't bother him about the fuse straight away. So I waited...then wound up sleeping again.
 
Anyway, I woke up to a distinct russling of plastic, like someone was unpacking. I thought "Great! I can ask my fellow backpacker how to fix it". So I opened my door and there was no one there. But I could still hear the plastic. Then I thought maybe they're outside because the plastic sound seemed to be coming from that direction. So I opened the door and there was no one there either. But the sound was still going on. Finally, I looked down and there was a cute grey, striped cat on its hind legs, going to town on a plastic bag looking for food. Well, I thought it was cute until  turned and gave me a death stare.
 
So there I was, in my first four hours in Seoul, having a staring contest with a stray cat. I swear the cat's stare looked like it was trying to say, "What the f*ck are you looking at?" Not being one to ever back down from anything ( not even a stupid stray cat), I accepted the cat's challenge and kept staring back...and then with slight of hand, took my cell phone out of my pocket to take a picture...then the cat looked away. HA! Point me.
 
Ok, ok, it's a sad state of affairs when I'm going mono-a-mono with a cat but you didn't see it's vengeful stare.
 
There's a queue for the computer at my hostel so I gotta jet. A more elaborate update will come soon...including how Korean kept mistaking me as one of there own...seriously =/
 
xoxo
 
 

No comments: