1) Car dealerships in Texas love gorillas. I counted at least 5 dealerships with gorillas promoting a car sale...and they come in different colours. Yellow. Red. Black.
2) Reversals of vasectomies are quite popular in Texas. There are billboards advertising this freely.
3) Adult Video Multiplexes are quite common along the highway. I thought this observation was in particular, quite bizarre given the more conservative climate of the area. I suppose it was more for the lonely truck drivers from out of state?
4) Texans LOVE their outlet shopping. Between the city limits of Forth Worth and Austin, there are 4 outlet malls. LARGE outlet malls. They even have two of them side by side, the size of three football fields...each! You know how some guys cry and get all emotional after their team wins the Super Bowl after a dream season? That was me after we parked the car at the Prime Outlet Mall just outside of Austin. I felt one with the Texans. But more on my outlet experience in another entry...but now back to San Antonio...
We arrived at San Antonio late afternoon. San Antonio is situated on a river system lined with really neat shops and restaurants so we figured we would take the river tour to get the full experience of the city.

Now logically, you would think that we would just ask someone where we could catch the tour boat so that we could hop on. But we didn't. We thought we could find it by following the river path and follow it towards where the boats were coming from. The only problem with that plan was that we quickly realized that the boats were coming from multiple directions. At one point, we came across a line up of people by two river tour boat and figured it was the tour boat line...but it wasn't. It was for a wedding. It didn't immediately click in that no on in the line had jeans on or sandals.
We FINALLY found the tour line and hopped on the tour boat. Our tour guide was the coolest and his captain name was appropriately "TO". He guided the tour group along the riverways and was quite informative. Up until that point, I had no idea that German immigrants made up a significant portion of the initial settlers of San Antonio. I always thought it was just the Spanish.

Once the tour was done, we headed above ground to see the Alamo. Unfortunately the Alamo was closed by the time so we wound up just taking pictures and then heading back the river area to grab something to eat. To keep with the theme of the trip, we found a place that served Tex-Mex....which really isn't a feat because Tex-Mex food is everywhere.
Anyhow, as part of my meal, I ordered a margarita. I've had margaritas before - and I've never been phased by them at all but THIS ONE. Oh. My. God. It was strong, like the bartender just dumped half a bottle of tequila in it. Before our dinner came, I stood up to go to wash my hands in the restroom and I felt like I had 5 beers instead of one margarita. I could definitely still walk properly but the feeling was unsettling for me.
At that point, I only drank just under half of this massive glass. Given that I wasn't feeling so good after just drinking that, you would think I'd have the good sense to stop drinking it. HECK NO. I drank it all. Then passed out on the car ride back to Austin only to get my cousin to pull over halfway through the car ride when I woke up and realized I needed to do unlady-like things in the washroom. I've only ever done that one other time and it too involved excessive amounts of tequila. I hate you tequila.

No comments:
Post a Comment